The work aimed at providing the uniformity of measurements in Russia is being
carried out on the basis of the law of the Russian Federation "On Assurance of
The normative basis of the state system for providing the uniformity of measurements
(State System of Measurement (SSM) is a complex of normative documents including
state standards and other normative documents specifying the order of transferal
of the units sizes throughout the territory of Russia, as well as the order of
carrying out the tests, checks and calibrations of measurement instrumentation.
The Russian national stock of reference standard specimen forms a technical basis
for SSM. The Russian stock of reference standard specimens consists of 120 state
primary and special standard specimens.
Federal Agency on Technical Regulating and Metrology controls the activity of
the State Metrologic Service, which includes the state research metrologic centers
(metrologic research institutes) and bodies of the State Metrologic Service in
the territories of entities belonging to the Russian Federation (territorial bodies
of standardization, metrology and certification).
Federal Agency on Technical Regulating and Metrology controls:
- State Service for Standard Frequency, Time and Determination of Parameters of
Rotation of the Earth (GSVCh);
- State Service for Standard Specimens Relating to Composition and Properties of
Substances and Materials (GSSO);
- State Service for Standard Reference Data on the Physical Constants and Properties
of Substances and Materials (GSSSD).
Federal Agency on Technical Regulating and Metrology carries out the state metrologic
control and inspection.
The state metrologic control includes:
- the approval of the type of measurement instrumentation;
- instrument calibration;
- licensing of the activities of legal entities and individuals relating to manufacture,
repair, sale and hiring-out of measurement instrumentation.
The state metrologic inspection includes the inspection of:
- manufacture, state and use of measurement instrumentation; the certified methods
of measurement; the reference standards of values units; observation of metrologic
rules and norms;
- quantities of goods lost in the course of business;
- quantities of packed goods contained in all types of packages and the course
of the packaging process and sale of the product.
International cooperation of Federal Agency on Technical Regulating and Metrology
is carried out within: